1. Where are you from originally?
2. What is your favorite WOD/movement?
Favorite WOD would be the Bear Complex and favorite movement would be back squat.
3. What is your least favorite WOD/movement?
Running and any WOD including running.
4. What were you doing before CrossFit? How did you hear about CrossFit and/CrossFit Northlake?
Before CrossFit, I was working out at my apartment gym. I found out about CrossFit through Google and I instantly started looking for a new CrossFit gym when I moved to Charlotte.
5. What other sports or activities do you participate in as a family besides CrossFit?
We love to go swimming and hiking in the summertime. During winter, we like to go bowling and shoot pool.
6. How many times per week do you CrossFit?
I attend Crossfit classes three times per week.
7. What is your athletic background?
I have played football, baseball and wrestled in high school along with weightlifting.
8. Give us some insight as to your thoughts after your first workout at CrossFit Northlake.
Great people here. Also, it was nice to not be the only black guy in a class.
9. Do you have any special or favorite CrossFit Northlake memories/moments?
Favorite moment so far was coach Sarah pulling me to the side to give me encouragement when I felt like I was so far behind everyone else’s progress. She constantly reminds me of the progress I am making.
10. What advice would you give to a newbie or someone just joining CrossFit Northlake?
Don’t compare yourself to everyone. We are all on different levels in regards to this fitness journey. Just keep showing up. You will be further today then you were yesterday. Just show up!
11. What is your eating style?
I’d like to think I’m a classy type of eater lol. Seriously, I cook most meals and try to incorporate lean meat along with veggies and a few carbs. I would be lying if I said I didn’t like sweets, fast food, and savory restaurants. As you can see, I’m still trying to dial in on fueling my body with proper sustenance.
12. What kind of results have you seen since starting at CrossFit Northlake?
Definitely increased flexibility and mobility largely due to Saturday yoga. I’ve also noticed my clothes fitting better even if I don’t see the numbers dropping on the scale. Last but not least, new PRs for weightlifting movements.
13. What do you do for a living?
Financial Planning and Analysis Specialist.
14. What drives you to be an active family?
At a young age, I have been defying the odds. Growing up in a gang-infested neighborhood located on the south side of Chicago, you have options to join a gang or go to school, go to jail or graduate high school, get a woman pregnant or graduate college. I choose the latter of each scenario. I was the first person in my family to attend and graduate from college. Now I want to be the first person in my family to lead a healthy and fit lifestyle. Diabetes and high blood pressure run rampant in my family and I don’t want to continue the cycle. I want to empower the younger generation to strive for more and be better than what their environment suggests them to be.