1: Where are you from originally?
Terrance- I grew up in Oxford, NC
Melissa- Salisbury, NC
2. What is your favorite WOD/Movement?
Terrance- Double Unders/Annie and Cindy
Melissa- Pull-ups and Box Jumps
3. What is your least favorite WOD/Movement?
Terrance- Handstand Walks
Melissa- Handstand Push-ups
4. What were you doing before CrossFit? How did you hear about CrossFit and/CrossFit Northlake?
Terrance- I’ve worked out at various gyms, martial arts and run half marathons. I heard about CrossFit from a fraternity brother and parent that were attending another box. I joined that box and have been doing CrossFit for about 7 years. I have been apart of Northlake for about 3 years. I did my own workouts then joined class about 1 1/2 years ago.
Melissa- I did group classes at the gym and martial arts. I heard about CrossFit through Terrance, I took over his membership when he was out for shoulder surgery and have been at Northlake for 3 years.
5. What other sports or activities do you participate in as a family besides CrossFit?
6. How many times per week do you CrossFit?
Terrance- 5 days a week
Melissa- 3 days a week
7. What is your athletic background?
Terrance- High School Football, track, martial arts. College- martial arts team
Melissa- High school basketball, track
8. Give us some insight as to your thoughts after your first workout at CrossFit Northlake.
Terrance- I fell in love with the 6am crew. I had finally found my tribe. Enjoyed the energy as well as how I was welcomed.
Melissa- Class was challenging and I enjoyed how I was pushed and encouraged by the 9:30am ladies.
9. Do you have any special or favorite CrossFit Northlake memories/moments?
Terrance- Several! But last year doing Murph a year out from total hip replacement surgery was huge. I did the full Murph minus the weight vest. Another moment was watching Melissa compete in the Goddess Games last year.
Melissa- Several as well! Getting the rhythm of double under, first handstand push-ups, competing in Goddess Games as an individual and a team.
10. What advice would you give to a newbie or someone just joining CrossFit Northlake?
Terrance- It’s ok to modify!
Melissa- Keep moving!
11. What is your eating style?
Our eating style varies. We have done whole 30, paleo and for Terrance recently Keto. We basically watch our intake, drink plenty of water, use supplements and meal prep. Meal prep for us on the weekends is key to making healthy meal choices.
12. What kind of results have you seen since starting at CrossFit Northlake
Terrance- I have competed in 3 bodybuilding shows since starting at Northlake. I placed first in my age group as well as the open divisions for both bodybuilding and classic physique. I did my first national show a couple months ago. I attribute the change in my body to my workouts at Northlake as well as my diet.
Melissa- I’ve gotten stronger. I lost 15lbs last year and have maintained that weight.
13. What do you do for a living?
Own King Tiger Tae Kwon Do. Teach martial arts to kids and adults.
14. What drives you to be an active family?
Our son Tyce is one motivating factor. Keeping up with him and having him see active parents as role models. Also being role models for our martial arts students. We can’t tell him to be healthy and work out if we don’t.