1: Where are you from originally?
2. What is your favorite WOD/movement?
Cleans, front squats, pullups, toes to bar.
3. What is your least favorite WOD/Movement?
Overhead squats and snatches. Double unders were on that list but I’ve been working hard lately to improve.
4. What were you doing before CrossFit? How did you hear about CrossFit and/ CrossFit Northlake?
Before CrossFit I weighed only 135lbs, and had been living a sedentary lifestyle for close to 10 years. I desperately wanted to build muscle, but never really stuck with anything that I tried. A couple friends of mine had started CrossFit, and I had always thought “I could never do anything like that.” They assured me that everything was scalable, and convinced me to sign up. I remember doing my free intro class, and feeling sick to my stomach afterwards, but I knew I had found what I had been looking for. Two years into my CrossFit journey I got to know some of the members at CrossFit Northlake, decided to make the switch, and the rest is history.
5. What other sports or activities do you participate in as a family besides CrossFit?
I mainly do CrossFit, although I also enjoy hiking, going for a run, or basically anything that gets me outdoors.
6. How many times per week do you CrossFit?
5-6 days depending on how I feel that week. I make sure to rest at least 1 day a week.
7. What is your athletic background?
I ran track in high school but other than that I didn’t have much of an athletic background.
8. Give us some insight as to your thoughts after your first workout at CrossFit Northlake.
Although I had been doing CrossFit prior to joining, I struggled to get through my first workout at Northlake. I remember thinking that this was the environment I had been looking for to take my training to the next level.
9. Do you have any special or favorite CrossFit Northlake memories/moments?
The first time I cleaned over 200lbs was a big moment because I had always thought that weight to be unattainable. Representing CFN in the Northlake/Vitality Throwdown was also a lot of fun. Anytime I’m able to crush a workout, whether it’s in class or in competition, I get that same feeling of accomplishment.
10. What advice would you give to a newbie or someone just joining CrossFit Northlake?
Start small and stick with it. Listen to your coaches and don’t be afraid to ask questions. Talk to, and get to know the other members. Listen to your body and make sure you give yourself an appropriate amount of rest.
11. What is your eating style?
I try to eat clean most of the time. Lots of chicken, rice, sweet potatoes, veggies, ect. I’ll still throw in some cheat meals though, usually on the weekends.
12. What kind of results have you seen since starting at CrossFit Northlake?
My strength and work capacity have both increased exponentially. CrossFit has also had a major impact on my work ethic and mental toughness.
13. What do you do for a living?
I’m a mechanical engineer in the racing industry.
14. What drives you to be an active family?
I want to set a positive example for those around me. I feel that if I could make this kind of lifestyle change, so can anyone else if they’re willing to work hard and stick with it. I’m always happy to encourage and help those around me to reach their goals.