1. Where are you from originally?
I’m close to a local, from Statesville, NC also known as StatesVegas also the home of our favorite Ecuadorian Heather
2. What is your favorite WOD/movement?
HSPU’s, Toes to Bar & Snatches because I started at zero ability and have put the time in working on them. Any WOD with running I like because it might give me a chance to get ahead or catch up to everyone else.
3. What is your least favorite WOD/ Movement?
Today it’s Clean & Jerks or anything heavy overhead because that’s what’s giving me the most trouble right now.
4. What were you doing before CrossFit?
How did you hear about CrossFit and/ CrossFit Northlake? Before CrossFit, I was solely a runner who was getting bored. I coached a marathon training program with Run For Your Life, but I was ready for something new. A few years before I tried CrossFit at another box and I loved it, but after a bad race I got stuck in a rut and couldn’t motivate to go back. Lucky for me, my friends Darren & Susan who I coached at RFYL would not stop talking about Northlake so eventually I went in for my intro class and I’ve never looked back.
5. What other sports or activities do you participate in as a family besides CrossFit?
I still run, but not as much, but I am doing my first Spartan Race this month.
6. How many times per week do you CrossFit?
5 times + endurance classes when I can. I’d probably stay all day if Jason and Amy didn’t keep asking if I was going to work. When I signed up for Unlimited I meant it.
7. What is your athletic background?
I was a cheerleader in high school and just worked out recreationally in college – running, aerobics and dance classes. I started running a few years after I graduated and then began coaching a marathon training program. I’ve run 7 marathons and several half’s.
8. Give us some insight as to your thoughts after your first workout at CrossFit Northlake.
- How can I run marathons and still be so weak and out of shape
- That really sucked, but this is exactly what I need
- This Hawaiian girl seems nice
- There is some pretty nice eye candy around here
9. Do you have any special or favorite CrossFit Northlake memories/moments?
- At my Intro workout Jason asked if there were any movements I was uncomfortable with, I said box jumps to which he said ok we’re going to do box jumps. In my head I was thinking oh I see how this is going to go – but I knew he was the kind of the coach I needed.
- Getting my first chest to bar in the Open
- Being super nervous at my first competition at War of the Wods
- Wearing down my friend Jess by constantly talking about Northlake and watching her make the commitment and join the Northlake family
10. What advice would you give to a newbie or someone just joining CrossFit Northlake?
- Don’t be intimidated, ask for help the coaches and other athletes are here for you
- Be patient, progress takes time – I still need to remind myself of this on a daily basis
- Set goals and hold yourself accountable
- Get a LARGE gym bag, you will become addicted and buy lots of accessories
- Just use more chalk 🙂
11. What is your eating style?
Flex-dieting, macro-counting, paleo-ish 80% of the time. Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups for PR’s – thanks Amber.
12. What kind of results have you seen since starting at CrossFit Northlake?
I started a little over a year ago and I’ve lost about 15 lbs but more important than the weight or the inches lost is the strength, self-confidence and friendships I’ve gained. I just happened to get super lucky and I met one of my best friends at the gym (love you Kalina) which has made this journey all the more special. The other important thing I’ve gained is the desire to help others, if I can inspire or motivate just one person and give them a fraction of what Jason and Amy have given me then I will have achieved true results.
13. What do you do for a living?
I’m the Director of VIP Premium Seating for Live Nation’s amphitheatres in Charlotte, PNC Music Pavilion and the Uptown Amphitheatre.
14. What drives you to be an active family?
I want to set a good example for my cats, they are overweight 🙂